
The holiday season brings numerous occasions for us to gather with friends and family to share fellowship and a meal or some delicious homemade treats. By the 3rd invitation, finding time to make yet another potluck dish or treat for work feels pretty overwhelming!
I love getting together with friends and family to share a bite to eat and all the festivities of the holidays. And, as much as I love to cook and bake, it can be a bit much at times to make our regular meals and foods for special events. After all, I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen!
One of the ways I make the holiday season a little less stressful is to pick one or two favorite dishes the freeze well to bring to get togethers. I then make up a big batch all at once and pop them in the freezer and take them out as needed.
One of my tried and true freezer recipes is Carrot Cake. Carrot Cake mixes up easily, thaws and serves beautifully. This weekend I made up 4 carrot cakes for the freezer. These 4 should* last me through the season. I'm a little nervous though, my husband saw me frosting them and was eyeing them pretty closely. I might get up one morning and find one half eaten in the fridge.
Here's my recipe for Fabulous Homemade Carrot Cake
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups shredded carrot
15 oz can crushed pineapple (well drained)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
Icing
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 lb powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Enough milk to make spreadable
Cake Instructions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9X13 pan. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon. In a large bowl combine sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs; beat well. Stir in flour mixture; mix well. Stir in carrots, pineapple raisins and nuts. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool completely, frost and freeze (or eat).
Icing Instructions:
Soften cream cheese. Beat in vanilla and 2 Tbsp milk. Add powdered sugar. Mix and add in just enough milk to make the icing spreadable as you are mixing.
Post Title → Home for the (Stress Free) Holidays