Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

The 6th Picture Game

Have you heard of the 6th Picture Game? I first saw it on lifeasMOM. The gist of the 6th Picture Game is that you go to your online photo files and pick out the 6th picture in the line up, post it on your blog and tell others a little about the photo.

Here's my 6th photo from my Picasa files. Now I'll tell you a little about it.





This picture brings back so many memories for me. It's a photograph of my newly remodeled kitchen taken around June of 2005. This is in my old house where I lived before getting married to George. It was a beautiful little Cape Cod style home in a nice family friendly neighborhood. The home was junk when I bought it, but you could see it had good "bones". Over time, I slowly remodeled and redecorated it so that it was a beautiful, comfortable little home. Oh, how I loved living there.

The kitchen was one of the final areas to be remodeled. This was the first time I ever lived in a home with a nice, new kitchen - all of my own choosing. What a wonderful feeling, boy was it ever hard to let someone else take over "my" kitchen when I sold the place. Sometimes I still want to walk in there and see if the new owners have done anything to wreck "MY" house.

Let's take a little tour...

See the stove on the far left? It was the first gas stove I ever cooked on, boy did it take a while to get used to cooking with gas! See the white cast iron sink -- it's heavier than you would ever want to lift. It had deep bowls and a little extra room for big pans which was terrific. However, it needed to be bleached often once the finish wore off. On the right side of the sink, you will see my beloved Old Towne Blue Corelle Ware dishes. My sister bought me a set of these for my 23rd birthday. They are still my favorites today. So simple and you got to love the blue trim.


Take a look at the shelf above the kitchen sink. I've always had a thing for plants on the kitchen window sill, but most window sills aren't wide enough to hold any kind of sizable plant. George made this extra wide shelf out of oak to match the cabinets. The sunlight streaming in amongst the white lace curtains and green plants was so beautiful each morning. He also made the plant shelves on the sides of the cabinets. That's where I used to start all my new baby plants.

See the bowl of fruit? For some reason, I've always liked to keep a bowl of fruit out on the counter -- it just looks so pretty. The upper half of the room is wallpapered, although I really like this pattern, this was my first and LAST wall papering job. George has strict orders to never, ever allow me wallpaper anything, no matter how much I beg and plead about how pretty it will look after the mess. And, there are people do this for a living?!

Here's a funny thing...

I still have everything in this photo that's not nailed down. The dishes, flower pots, curtains, watering can, canisters, coffee pot and can opener cover. My life is like that. Once I find something I like, I stay with it until the very end and then I go out and get another one just exactly like the one that broke or wore out. It is a sad day in my world when they stop making something I love and had hoped to continue using until the day I die. Oh sure, every once in a great while, I will want to try out something different and new, but not very often. See all the permanent stuff in the photo, like the cabinets, sink, stove? I guarantee you that if I had to pick out all these things new today, they would be exactly the same. Even the paint and wallpaper. How boring huh?

Perhaps the really disturbing part of all this is that I LIKE being this way, and George is the same way. He repeatedly buys the exact same tools, lights, clothes, trucks, hats, gloves, etc. We even painted the interiors of our homes the same colour before marriage. And we were both deliriously happy to paint our new home the very same colour. Other than that, we try very hard to be normal :)

Want to play too? Pick out your 6th picture, post it and tell us a little about it. If you put something up, please leave a link in the comment section to let us know.

Thanks!


Post Title The 6th Picture Game