Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu with Sauce



Last week's chicken cordon bleu recipe turned out great. Normally chicken cordon bleu isn't something I would make on a weeknight because it's pretty messy and labor intensive or, at least it was the last time I made it several years ago. Apparently I was so traumatized I couldn't bear the thought of all that mess again.

This time involved an easier recipe, a few tweaks and prep prep. That folks, makes all the difference in the world! The night before I used a rolling pin to beat the chicken breasts to smithereens. George came into the kitchen as I was just getting started and watched me for a while. Finally he asked if I was imagining the chicken was his head.  I replied "not today sweetie" : )

One special addition to this meal was a quick sauce/gravy. My husband likes all meat served with some sort of sauce/gravy/bbq sauce -- anything so that it's wet. BBQ sauce didn't seem to fit this meal at all so I went with a concocted version of a sauce. Made from one a chicken gravy packet I got for free, some sour cream and a tablespoon of honey mustard. I would normally never think to put these ingredients together. Surprisingly it didn't turn out pretty good!

Here's my recipe:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 thin slices deli ham
4 thin slices of swiss cheese
3 tbsp prepared honey mustard dressing
1 packet (or jar) of chicken gravy
.5 cups of sour cream
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
toothpicks

Place one chicken breast at a time between sheets of waxed paper. Use a rolling pin or mallet and beat until very thin. The chicken breast should be about double the size you started out with. Season with salt and pepper.

Lay all four breasts out in a row and spread a thin layer of honey mustard dressing on each. Top with a slice of swiss cheese and then ham. Carefully roll each one up as tightly as you can and use 1 or 2 toothpicks to secure it. Set them aside. 

Beat one egg in a pie plate. Use a second pie plate to hold the 1 cup of bread crumbs. Carefully -- this might be messy -- dip each rolled up chicken breast into the beaten egg and let the excess drain off and then roll in bread crumbs.  Place seam side down in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. Depending on how big your chicken breasts are, you may want to cook yours longer -- cut in half to make sure it's done before serving.

Right before serving, make the sauce. Prepare instant gravy mix according to package directions, or open a jar of gravy and heat in a saucepan. Once the gravy is hot, add lots of pepper, 1 tbsp of honey mustard dressing and 1/2 cup of sour cream. Heat on low until the gravy warms back up. Be very careful to not over cook because the sour cream will curdle.

Picture to follow as soon as I download it :)

Post Title Chicken Cordon Bleu with Sauce