Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

A Less Than Perfect Tree Skirt Project

I had what I thought was a brilliant little idea. It is so much fun to cut paper snowflakes each year, wouldn't this be a fun technique to use to make a tree skirt, out of felt?

On Black Friday I headed out to JoAnn Fabrics and found a slim selection of felt choices, coming away with gray and bright pink yardage. I had envisioned an off white and paler pink instead. So not off to a great start, but figured I'd march forward with the project anyway.

After laying out the fabric I was having a hard time even remembering how to cut a paper snowflake. The size of the fabric was throwing me off!


I folded it over several times and started to cut a line of circles down one edge. Oops. Too thick. Hadn't thought that issue through.


The layers were unfolded until a manageable thickness was reached, allowing for easier cutting. This kind of defeated the whole idea and magic of cutting a snowflake. Oh well...


Realizing this, Isabella & I took turns cutting out whatever shapes came to mind.


It was still fun to unfold the material to see what design had been created.


Then it was laid on top of the backing...this is where I start to have a problem with my color choices. Not as fresh and pretty as I had hoped for.


The edge of the bottom fabric was cut around the snowflake shape...


and the skirt was then laid out in the spot where the tree was to stand.


Once the tree was in place, with the pink and turquoise ornaments hung, it all started to look better.


I'll post more photos once a few presents are wrapped and placed underneath the tree, further disguising the skirt. Once just a bit of the edge is showing I think it will actually look quite nice!

This decorating project is attending the Holiday Linky Party at The Inspired Room and A Soft Place to Land's DIY Day!

Post Title A Less Than Perfect Tree Skirt Project