Now, I know beans and rice meals take a lot of flack because they are oh so very cheap and many people think they are boring. My husband and I love beans and rice meals. Often times when I make a beans and rice dish I will add in some diced chicken or browned beef because my husband is such a meat lover. But, he will happily eat just beans and rice for a few meals; I don't know about a whole week.
Here's what we would eat. Please note, our tastes in beans and rice run mostly toward the Mexican options, but there are a couple of non-Mexican flavored dishes. It's nice to know you can easily put together a couple of super simple, super cheap weeknight meals.
Monday: Quick and Tasty Mexican Casserole (omitting the chicken -- really with all those tasty toppings I doubt you would miss it anyway)
Tuesday: Refried Bean and Cheese Quesadillas. (I like to serve these with salsa and ranch dressing. )
Wednesday: Chili (using kidney beans) and cornbread.
Thursday: Bean Soup and Bread -- for this I like to use a 1 lb bag of 15 different kinds of beans. 1 can tomato sauce, a few dashes of hot sauce, 1 grated carrot and 1 medium diced onion and several cups of water. This cooks down slowly (after you soak the beans) over several hours and smells fabulous! Such a good treat in the winter. It's even better if you throw in a ham bone or at least a few small chunks of deli ham. Lacking that I would add a little liquid smoke.
Friday: Chili Nachos Cook the leftover chili from Wednesday night down until it is very thick. Layer some tortilla chips on a dish, top with the chili, some cheese and your favorite nacho toppings.
Saturday: Black Bean, Rice and Cheese Enchiladas. I would make Mexican rice, by cooking up a pot of rice (we use brown) and adding a can of diced tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chili powder and cumin. Then I would take a portion of the Mexican rice , black beans and cheese and wrap inside a flour tortilla. Once you get a 13x9 sized dish of these, pour enchilada sauce all over the tortillas and bake for about 40 minutes. Great eaten with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa.
P.S. Did you sign up to get your Free Fall Samples yet? This deal is still valid for a little bit yet; you can sign up here.
Post Title → Easy Beans & Rice Meals